The Michigan Music Teachers Association sponsors a commissioned composition each year to be presented at the annual state conference. The current commission, in collaboration with MTNA, is $1500. The composition is then submitted for consideration for the MTNA-Shepherd Distinguished Composer of the Year Award. The composer selected by the national panel is awarded $5000 following the performance of the new work at the national conference.
MMTA requires the commissioned composition to be 10-15 minutes in length and to be written for no more than six instruments or voices. It is the responsibility of the composer to attend the State Conference, provide performers for the presentation of the work, and arrange for the recording of the composition and it's submission to the national office for further consideration.
We encourage composers from Michigan to apply: please see restrictions below. No funds are provided for travel, hotel, performer or recording expenses.
How to Apply
If you would like to be considered for the commission, please send a representative composition and a CD recording to Silvia Roederer (address below) postmarked by December 31, 2016. Entries will be evaluated and all entrants notified as soon as a final composer has been selected. MMTA will award $250 for the composition selected as first runner-up.
- Composer must be an American citizen
- Composer must be a legal resident of Michigan, or be a student or teach at a Michigan school
- Composer must be at least 18 years of age
- Composer may not have been previously commissioned by MMTA for this event
- Send only ONE composition (score and CD) to be judged
- Composition must be written within the last 2 years
- Specify length of composition on the score (limit is 15 minutes)
- Do NOT announce your name on the CD, and cover names on the score, including dedications, performers or any other identification
- Include contact information on a separate sheet, with e-mail address.
Specify on CD:
- Title of composition
- Length of composition
For More Information
Contact Silvia Roederer, Commissioned Composer Chair
2631 Parkwyn Drive
Kalamazoo, MI 49008